With the economy back in full swing and talent in many sectors at a premium, the focus on retention is at an all-time high. Skip the gimmicks and employ these five strategies to improve retention and reduce your hiring costs:
- Get feedback. Start by talking to your current staff. What do they like most about working with your company? What would they change if they could? If they could build an ideal workplace, what would it look like? This information will give you an “inside view” on their thought processes and help you plan changes that will help you keep your best people.
- Know who you’re looking for. If you haven’t updated your job descriptions in a while, it’s time to do so. Review each position with the people who hold them and their immediate supervisors to make sure the job description accurately reflects the “day-to-day” demands and the skills required to meet them. Clear, accurate job descriptions help you determine whether you have the right people in the right roles – and to modify roles or reassign talented staff before they decide to move on.
- Build your employment brand. Draw talented people to your team and keep them by building a clear, motivating employment and cultural brand. Use your existing staff to generate video, podcasts, blog posts, photographs and more. For instance, you might start a “What I Love About My Company” videocast, or feature outstanding employees in an “Employee of the Week” blog series. You’ll help retain staff by giving them a featured role in the story of your company and its achievements.
- Create a clear path to advancement. Fewer things cause employees to skip out faster than a dead-end job. Make sure every role has a clear, objective path to advancement, and that every employee understands what they need to do in order to move to the next rung on the career ladder. Include steps for moving into “lateral” positions if needed.
- Focus on recruiting. Recruiting and retention are often mentioned together because they work hand in hand. When you find people who “fit” well with your company and your team, you increase the chances that those people will stick with your business for the long haul. Working with a professional staffing firm can help you improve your recruiting to boost retention.
At ExecuTeam, our recruiters can help you find the people you need and keep your best talent, no matter how your industry is faring. Contact us today to learn more about our recruiting solutions in Houston and beyond.