Your job search deserves your utmost attention. After all, you are not just looking for a job – you are looking for a place you will enjoy spending eight hours a day tackling projects that inspire and challenge you.
To find that dream job, start by getting organized. Here is how:
- Set up “job search central.” You will be more productive if you work on your job search in a particular place every day. Your home office, a corner of the living room, or even your kitchen table can all become your “headquarters.” If you find it tough to concentrate at home, work on your job search from a local library or coffee shop.
- Assemble what you need. If space in your home is limited or you plan to do your job search work outside the house, find a backpack or briefcase in which to store your essential materials and equipment. These will include items like a computer with Internet access, a printer, pens and paper, sticky notes, a calendar or day planner, and a file of your job search materials, like copies of your best portfolio work.
- Create a system to track your job search. Have you already applied at this employer? Did you ever hear back from that one? With a tracking system in place, you will know the answers – and you will be able to set yourself apart from less-organized job seekers by following up with employers who have not gotten back to you about your applications. Use a system that allows you to track employer names, job postings, dates, steps you have taken, and the results.
- Work on a schedule. Schedule a block of time every day to work on your job search. Begin your job search in your chosen workspace each day, taking care of tasks like responding to emails, preparing resumes, or researching employers. Then, make time each day to get out and network by meeting a colleague for coffee, lunch, or a midday walk.
- Seek help when you need it. Working with a staffing firm can help you stay organized. Your staffing partner will help you track job postings and will recommend those he or she believes to be the best “fit” for your workplace personality and career goals.
At ExecuTeam, our experienced recruiters can help you organize your job search to lead you to great employment opportunities in less time. If you are looking for a job opportunity in the Houston or greater Gulf Coast area, contact us today!